Thursday, October 8, 2015

The Walk: A Review of an IMAX experience

I've been watching IMAX since I started reviewing movies for local distributors. Although it is fun to watch a movie on IMAX, there are only few movies that are best seen for IMAX format.
Photo courtesy of Warner Bros.

The Walk is based on a true story about the French tightrope walker Philippe Petit(played by Joseph Gordon-Levitt)  who walked between the two towers of the World Trade Center in the 70's. I heard stories about this incredible act but I never got to see any footage of this.

I'm a fan of director Robert Zemeckis since Back To The Future trilogy. Since Flight, I've noticed that he gave a different direction to his movies. From an almost-wholesome to a darker or mature themed movie.

What I didn't realize that not only that Zemeckis brought back a 70's New York environment, he also brought us back to the World Trade Center. I have no doubts that Zemeckis is a good storyteller but this is the first time he broke the fourth wall. By making Phillipe narrates his story to the audience is something that he never did before.

This is probably the best performance of Gordon-Levitt ever. I've seen his movies in his younger years but this is probably his best performance that may give him a nomination or better yet an award. I've seen actors acted French but it was Gordon-Levitt's performance that will make you convinced that he is French. His diction and manner of speaking the language is flawless.

As for the 3D, it is very fluid. The production didn't waste any scene especially the climactic tightrope scenes. As for the IMAX, it is the best movie format to watch it. Watching it in regular 2D won't compliment the movie.

It gives you the feeling that you are walking the tightrope with Phillipe as he crosses between the two towers. When we watched it on IMAX cinema at SM Megamall, we were really tensed watching that scene. If you have acrophobia or fear of heights, you better braced yourselves. You may grab hold your armrest tightly as I did.

Despite my fear of heights, I still think this is the best movie that will open this week. I guarantee this is a must-see. For more quality movie reviews, follow this blog and like L.E.N.S. blogs on Facebook. The Walk opens on October 14 in IMAX 3D, Digital 3D, and 2D cinemas across the Philippines. Rated PG by MTRCB.

No comments:

Post a Comment