Wednesday, June 27, 2012

THE DARK SIDE OF ERIN WASSON IN “ABRAHAM LINCOLN: VAMPIRE HUNTER”


Texas-born supermodel, designer, entrepreneur and actress, Erin Wasson plays the ruthless, sexy and evil vampire Vadoma in “Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter” directed by renowned Russian filmmaker Timur Bekmambetov.   
Erin Wasson as Vadoma

 The thrilling film delivers an entirely original twist to the story of the iconic American president. Vampires are re-imagined as evil bloodthirsty slave traders and Lincoln (played by Ben Walker) is portrayed as a master at killing the supernatural creatures.   In this fantastical action-packed movie, the iconic leader Abraham Lincoln has a secret life alongside his presidential duties: hunting the undead. Rooted in historical fact that is blended skillfully with a fictional supernatural tale, Lincoln is portrayed as a man who was essentially the first superhero.

                Ben Walker gives a powerful performance as President Lincoln. The film also stars Dominic Cooper as Henry, a high living ladies’ man who saves his life and instructs him on the art of vampire hunting. Rufus Sewell portrays Lincoln’s vampire nemesis Adam, commander of the vampire army. Erin Wasson plays the gorgeous vampire, Vadoma, Adam’s chief lieutenant and bodyguard. The film is based on Seth Grahame-Smith’s bestselling novel.
               
Wasson sinks her teeth into a deliciously meaty and malevolent role – following is her q&a on her thoughts on beauty, fashion, martial arts and vampires.

Q:           What kind of vampire is Vadoma?
A:            “She is a woman of few words, a woman of action who is on a mission, she is very straightforward. She’s a really strong, powerful woman who is very talented and good at what she does. She’s a skilled assassin.”

Q:           Can you explain what these assassins are doing at this point in US history? 
A:            “The slaves are our food; we’re trading slaves to keep us (the vampires) alive. The vampires are living off the blood of the slaves.”

Q:           What kind of costume do you wear?
 A:           “The interesting thing about Vadoma’s costume is that the color palette consists of shades of red, crimson and deep purples. She always wears a hat and sunglasses during the day. She is a woman on the move.  She spends her day on horseback so the costumes have to be practical. She definitely has a dark side.”

Q:           How interesting was it playing someone who’s really evil?
A:            “It was great. Vadoma is pure evil so there’s not a lot of consciousness going into her actions and not a lot of emotion.”

Q:           Why do you think vampires continue to be so popular?
A:            “They are part modern day folklore and it is the mystery of vampires that I think intrigues people.  People connect vampires to sexuality, with the element of the blood. There is a correlation between vampires and human urges or desires.”  

Q:           How would you say that your own natural beauty, your looks, have contributed to your extraordinary success?
A:            “I certainly think that [my looks] have contributed to my career. You know, that is how I fell into the industry and that was partly how I got to experience so much. That has enabled me to be where I am now.  I’m grateful for the beauty, but I’ve been able to see through that. I’m more beautiful inside than outside (laughs).”

Q:           What was your childhood like in Texas? 
A:            “I come from a really strong Texas family. I grew up playing in the streets of my neighborhood, predominantly with boys. We would be out all day long until the street lights came on. My mother (Chris Wasson) is incredible; she’s a strong woman, enabling you to be able to walk through the challenges of life and keep your head above water, so I give a lot of credit to my folks.”

Q:           It sounds like your Mother was a great role model?
A:            “Absolutely. My mom was a flight attendant for 30 years. When I started out as a model at 15 she came to every shoot with me, in between her flying schedule. She is the kind of mother who would have lunches packed and waiting for me and my sister Meghan, even when she’d just got off a ‘redeye’ (all night) flight. She would drop us off at school and then come home and do house chores. I don’t know when she slept. And then she did it all over again the next day.”

Q:           You are considered a style icon.  Is that rewarding?
A:            “I don’t even know what it means to be a style icon. It is interesting you know, because when people tell me  that’s what I am, it doesn’t really make any sense. But I’m super appreciative that people see me in that way. I wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t for that.” 

Q:           What has been  the defining moment in your career so far?
A:            “Getting a cosmetic deal because in this kind of business, that gives you an incredible security blanket. You never know when things are going to come and go with the ebb and the flow, so getting a cosmetic contract (with Maybelline) allowed me to breathe a little bit easier.  When I was a young girl, I grew up looking at their make up and I still don’t understand why I’m here, I am very grateful.”

                “Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter” is released in theaters (2D and 3D) from 20th Century Fox to be distributed by Warner Bros.

No comments:

Post a Comment