Wednesday, June 4, 2014

The Fault In Our Stars movie review

Story: A movie adaptation of a novel by John Green

Review: When I first received the PR material for the movie and saw the trailer, I thought it was just another emo-flick following suit from A Walk To Remember. It was only after watching it that I found out it was more than a teen novel-turned-chick flick.

The movie has smart one-liners that may be also quoted from the book. Each character especially Hazel, Gus and Hazel's mom Frannie contributed to the funny moments for the movie. What I find appealing in the movie is that Gus is also a geek. He likes video games and Star Wars and V for Vendetta because I saw the movie poster of the latter.

The story is much more realistic even though the genre was romance. But it does not focuses on the romance alone but the conflict itself. I am not new to support groups but I also got my time handling a cancer support group in a protestant church just like in Episcopalian based support group in the movie. I volunteered and interact with the parents whose children are cancer patients. Maybe I should encourage the support group to watch this.

The story has more punch lines and quotable quotes compared to the other movie I first mentioned. It was a smart story for everyone to watch. It is not just a movie for dates or BFFs, it can be used as a movie discussion for serious movie buffs like me.

The main actors,Shailene Woodley and Ansel Elgort  are not famous to me but they are an ideal choice to play the part of Gus and Hazel. They had this aura that makes them feel like they are the cutest couple and like they are acting naturally.

The Fault In Our Stars opens June 5 in Philippine cinemas. Released and distributed by Fox 2000 Pictures. For more movie reviews, follow this blog or like the L.E.N.S. blogs on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment